Saturday, December 6, 2008

something i wrote about a year ago, but updated today.



I’d much rather send all of you postcards and in another life I would pursue the fascination I have with becoming an expert journalist or Pilates instructor. I’d still be traveling the world, taking pictures of all things beautiful (polaroids too), but develop most in black and white and sepia tones. For now I simply live a life inspired by all that is chaotic and peaceful…beautiful and unique. I just said goodbye to 24 and hello to 25, July 13th to be exact. I’ve been on ‘tour’ for almost 24 months, with a few breaks in between. My fabulous and wonderfully talented fiancé is what we refer to as a ‘pro baller’…and I am his entourage. I’ve been to more countries and cities and places that this past year than I’ve been in all of my life combined…I am sure…or maybe it just feels that way. Either way, it’s only just the beginning. I have no idea where the next day will take us…and I love it (most of the time). I grew up in a small beach town called San Clemente, just about halfway between San Diego and Los Angeles. Personally, I think it’s one of Orange County’s best kept secrets. I moved out of the apartment I used to rent in SC and am making a home (for now) in the Canary Islands of Spain (another corner of heaven this side of the Atlantic). We come to points in life where decisions have to be made…big ones and small ones. That was a big, yet easy, one for me. I have never taken for granted where I grew up and have always known it to be one of the best places in the world. The ocean always looks like glass and the air in the middle of December in the early mornings is cool and crisp. I woke early in the morning and would often take a walk on the beach with my camera. I loved when the only footprints in the sand were mine. The temperature is what my body was made for. It is home. My love for travel began when I was about 5. Camping trips with my family to Lake Tahoe won me in. When I was 12, I took my first summer vacation alone to visit my aunt in Florida. Once I knew I could go anywhere by myself, there was no stopping me. I could only stay in a bubble for so long before I got pissed off because I know there’s so much more of this world to see. So I went. I went lots of places and saw lots of things. Met lots of people, and packed and unpacked lots of bags. Fast forward to days of ‘getting to know Fred’, which was actually, what I believe to be, a conspiracy between he and our mutual friend Lindsey. Serendipitous or not, I can say without hesitation that I met my very best friend in Fred. My parents and grandparents, once leery of me dating anyone outside of the area code, found themselves sort of believing in this fairy tale love. With their blessing, off I went to Spain. I bought a polka dot apron to help me blend in. Now on my living room floor here in La Palma, listening to John Vanderslice’s Golden Gate (on repeat). For a brief moment, I’m gonna have to replenish my fluids with a cup of Trader Joe’s Mint Melange Tea. Yep, I said mélange. I spent the last year learning Swedish in Uppsala, but while I’m at it, it doesn’t hurt to enhance what I have yet to know in English. Vocabulary lesson for the day: Melange: n. 1. A collection of various things. John Vanderslice is my new old musical love. I was first introduced to his music via my older, and so musically in tune, brother a few years back. Apparently I was too naïve to listen, or remember for that matter. I think he will forgive me for not remembering, especially when he knows how much I appreciate him now. As it is with most circumstances in life, timing is everything…and places are moments we just happen to be experiencing…memories are moments we once experienced. It’s a lot like love. Sometimes it’s love at first site and other times, it hits you when you least expect it (oddly enough, both of those happened when I met Fred). And now I am here, on ‘our’ living room floor…in Spain. I was last home in May. Fred was with me for a few weeks before I flew to join him in Sweden. Though it’s never good to be smitten at the airport, leaving the apple of your eye, because it’s one of the suckiest feelings in the world, it’s one of the most inspiring at the same time. Life is all about a time and place...we aren’t here to figure it out, just here to be open to it. These days I am all about learning, writing, asking myself who I am. Though I understand the chance of me running into the defining answers of it all is futile, I do like to ask myself the questions: What is the purpose for all this around me? How does it shape me? Am I being bent or broken? What story does it tell about me? So anyways, this is me…Jessie Jansen. Loving all things Canon, Williams & Sonoma, and Anthropologie. Equally anticipating my new straw purse and hopelessly devoted to my Rainbow flip flops. Loving my leaf-like pearl and glass bead necklace and cozy Gap t-Shirts. Loving over-sized beach towels. Addicted to the camping and sand that gets stuck on and between my toes. Love my Swede. Loving my veggies. Strawberries by the handful. Red and yellow bell peppers with hummus. Big-white-sweet-Hawaiian onions on the grill. Avocados, as Grandpa’s guacamole or by the half with spinach salad. Shrimp, cold with cocktail sauce. Salmon with lemon sauce and green beans. Artichokes hearts. Any glass of good (or bad) wine. It doesn’t matter, as long as it’s shared with good company. BJ’s Brewhouse Blonde beer. I love to sleep with the windows open or a fan blowing. I like to drive around and let my mind wander. I like to wake up really early and take a cup of chai tea to the beach…or do something ‘just for fun’ like bake cookies at 630am. The best is when it’s the middle of winter in California, when the air is cold and you can roll down the windows of your little white beetle and put the heater on your feet. The best feeling in the world is when you come out from a good swim in the ocean and lay under the warm sun. My favorite smells are fresh laundry, clean air, and that ‘after the rain’ smell. And that scent your beloved one leaves on your pillow. I like taking part in random acts of kindness and conducting positive energy to those around me. I want to be a better citizen and person. I take pride in striving towards being one of the best daughters, granddaughters, sisters, aunts, friends (and lover) any of my family or friends will ever have. Taking care of the people I love comes first, then myself, then photography, culinary adventures and the like. I’ve learned that a strong foundation is necessary in the attempt to live out your dreams. Everything in moderation…except love. Honesty is always the best policy…and patience is key. I love the life I live and have huge amounts of appreciation for all that I’ve been given. I am simply happy to be here. That is me.

4 comments:

Sheila, Canary Islands said...

Welcome to La Palma! I hope you love it here as much as I do.

E. Lindsey Hornkohl said...

Hooray for reminiscence, transparency, and catharsis! I love getting to know you better.

heather said...

You make me smile :)

graceboss said...

you are remarkable...i love you more and more bebs!