Tuesday, September 2, 2008

heaven in a bowl.



many months ago, my swedican friend julie told me about a vegan restaurant in california that she frequented often: 'native foods'...i had never heard of the place. apparently they also have a cookbook! well, julie's been telling me about their amazing 'mecca azteca salad' and i've been dying to make it. the last week i was in sweden, before i arrived here to la palma, julie invited me over for dinner and we fine dined on this long-awaited salad at last. i still have memories of how delicious it was (and how sweet the company). there was nothing about it that i would change...it was everything i love (besides my dear swede) tossed in a bowl. crunchy mixed lettuce leaves, soft grains of quinoa, chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, avocado, mango...then sprinkled with pumpkin seeds, big, juicy raisins and a dash of cayenne pepper...all drizzled with the most wonderful mango lime vinaigrette. the dressing alone is a masterpiece of pureed mangoes, golden syrup, fresh squeezed limes, oil, vinegar, sea salt, and freshly grated ginger. every flavor comes alive at each bite taken. i will for sure make it again...and again. as for that cookbook? it's ordered and on it's way to my doorstep.

fred scale: 4.5 ('very, very good! i was tempted to hand out my first 5, but it was a tad bit too sweet')

2 comments:

Julie said...

Jessie du är snäll! I wish I could have you over again! That was so much fun. There was one thing missing though- the cilantro! Johan doesn't care for it, so I don't put it in. I'm so glad you liked it, and can't wait for you to try the other recipes!

Jonzosu said...

So I'd like to start the Fred's scale on this website. Since I'd like to be a little different from Johan, my scale is 10-point scale.

This first dish was ridiculously good and as much as I'd like to give it a 10, I'm gonna have to go with a 9.5. The reason for this is that I will be very stingy with my tens. They will be rare and it's going tobe interesting to see when I get to handout the first one.