Friday, September 5, 2008

caramelized tofu.


every week i get updates from heidi swanson's blog, 101 cookbooks. i just love everything her taste buds do...and her photos and words make all her dishes that much more appetizing. her all-natural vegetarian lifestyle speaks to my heart...and stomach :) i had some tofu in the fridge and have been wanting to find a fun recipe to use it with. when i received heidi's email update this week, a light went on in my head and i remembered that she had a long list of tofu recipes on her blog. i decided to go with one of her 'favorites': caramelized tofu. she served hers over sautéed shredded brussels sprouts, but i wasn't sure how my tall swede would react to that, so i went with a bed of cooked spinach, which he loves. he also eats more than the 'average joe', so i served this dish with whole wheat spaghetti as well (quinoa, bulgur or whole wheat cous cous would be a delicious alternative). our little corner market didn't have any pecans, so i substituted walnuts. the change made hardly any difference, i am sure. the hints of garlic and fresh cilantro added so much extra flavor and balanced out the sweetness against the brown sugar.

fred scale: 4 ('i was pleasantly surprised by the tofu and really liked the caramelized walnuts')

1 comment:

Julie said...

This looks so good, Jessie! And I like the adjustments you made. I just might have to give it a try one of these days. I miss talking to you now that I'm busier with school! I hope you're still doing well! It sounds like it.